[Noise] RE: Canada Imprisons People For Human Rights Acti...

Michelle KC5KYO mthompso at qualcomm.com
Wed Aug 21 17:43:28 PDT 1996

> I do not believe that freedom of speech in the U.S.A. extends to actively
> agitating for secession or the overthrow of the federal government.

The right to discuss revolt or secession or the overthrow of the federal
government, it seems to me, is given below:

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created
equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of
Happiness - That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted
among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the
Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of
these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,
and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such
Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall
seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.  ... "

Now this is the Declaration of Independence, and not the Constitution, but
it seems to me that the right to discuss "agitating for secession or the
overthrow of the federal government" is protected.

Michelle