"Utilization Review"

Rich Graves rich at c2.org
Wed Aug 21 01:15:16 PDT 1996

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:

> Do you want to share the risk of routine medical care?  Or do you just want
> to share the risk of catastrophic illnesses and accidents?  Or do you want
> to keep it all private.  What you pay for, you can keep private.  What they
> pay for, they can review.  Your choice.

Oh, that's a different kettle of fish entirely. As a matter of fact I do
have catastrophic coverage only ($2500 annual deductible and other
limitations), but were I less hale and youthful, or had I a family, I would
probably opt for "managed care."

However, you'll find that catastrophic coverage really isn't that much
cheaper than full "managed care," because without intimate knowledge of my
habits and detailed records of regular doctor's visits, the insurance
company doesn't trust me as much as it trusts a "managed care" patient.

-rich