Pappieren, bitte! (and Taxes, National Debt)

Richard Martin rmartin at aw.sgi.com
Tue Aug 20 22:56:37 PDT 1996

On Aug 20, 12:18pm, Timothy C. May wrote:
> At 5:38 PM 8/20/96, Stephen Cobb wrote:
> >Very true...what I am saying is that, as far as my reading goes, LEGAL
> >aliens are going to be required to pay social security "taxes" while not
> >having any "entitlement" in return. They pay income taxes and get certain
> >things, like law and order, in return. They will be paying soc sec money to
> >the government without getting anything in return.
> I think the "no driver's licenses to illegal aliens" makes a certain kind
> of sense, though. (Not that I don't have some compassion for them, being an
> open borders advocate.) If the State gives official documents to illegal
> aliens, what's the point of their being classified as illegal aliens?

Erm. Tim seems to be writing about how it doesn't make much sense to give
driver's licenses to illegal aliens and Stephen is writing about how Arizona
is planning to not give driver's licenses to legal aliens. Which would
appear to be talking at crosspurposes.

I'm a PLRA in the USA, so it does matter somewhat to me that i might be unable
to get a driver's license in a country i could legally reside in because i'm
not a citizen of that country. Especially if that country won't let me drive
for extended periods of time on a driver's license issued elsewhere.

If the State won't give me official documents (as a legal alien), what's the
point of being classified as a legal alien? (Except more exciting
interrogations every time i cross the border?)

Tim's opinions on illegal immigrants, good, but don't really apply so much
to PLRAs (who cannot vote, but can pay taxes and be drafted). [Which is,
i think, what Stephen was writing about in the first place.]

richard

--
Richard Martin                                   [not speaking for a|w]
rmartin at aw.sgi.com                   http://reality.sgi.com/rmartin_aw/
 NOTE: My email address as of August 23 1996 is g4frodo at cdf.utoronto.ca