Schlafly on crypto

Hallam-Baker hallam at ai.mit.edu
Sat Aug 17 17:35:05 PDT 1996

If we are having a Schlafy bash then i think it fair to bring up
her "Con-Con" paranoia. She has published a series of articles
predicting that there will be a "Constitutional Convention" -
that is not one of your ordinary constitutional ammendment sessions
but a wholesale rewritting of the US constitution by a cabal as
happened when it was first written.

A typical rant:-

>They adopted a plan to plunge America into a Constitutional
>Convention. Article V of the U.S. Constitution requires that "on the
>Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States,
>[Congress] shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments." This
>method has never been used; all 27 Amendments now in the Constitution
>were adopted in the traditional way (passage by a two-thirds majority in
>each House of Congress followed by ratification by three-fourths of the
>states).
http://www.eagleforum.org/users/eagle/public_html/psr/1996/may96/psrmay96.html

In fact despite Schlafy having predicted such a conference many times
over the past years (I have seen more than 10) her claims are entirely
false, not to say fraudulent. She uses the usual tricks of citing
fraudulent references and making up quotes. In short she is a fraud
hoping to get people to join her foundation to stop a Con con that
nobody is proposing.

I don't think that Schlafy is a usefull aly any more than Bob Dole
basically its just opportunist politicians latching onto the rhetoric
of debates without engaging in the argument. Dole senses that the mood
of the country is pro crypto so he supports that, he senses that it
is anti porn so he will support that.

Basically Schlafy is playing the same game. She is saying things that
she knows will curry favour so she can get people to join her Wacko
club.

		Phill