"world communications being monitored"

Douglas B. Renner dougr at skypoint-gw.globelle.com
Sat Aug 17 14:18:24 PDT 1996

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> I heard an amazing news report on the radio today, that confirmed
> what I've heard and suspected for a long time - all international
> communications *are* continually being monitored!!

Yes, this has been public record information for at least 15 years.

> program - a system of monitoring stations have been set up in various
> countries in the world that continually monitor ALL fax, email,
> telephone and satellite communications etc, "sniffing" for keywords
> using super computers. When these key words are identified the
> information is automatically logged and according to Hager, sent
> directly to the US intelligence services.

Which is located in Ft. Meade, etc etc.  Yes, we know.  That's why the
big interest on this list for military grade encryption for ensuring the
privacy of personal communications.  It's also why there's such a big
push by governments for key escrow technology.  Governments want to keep
this "edge", the existence of which hasn't yet penetrated popular awareness.

For more information on the subject, search some magazine indices or
archives of this list for the keywords NSA or National Security Agency.
A surprising amount of information, including all of what you've mentioned,
and more, is readily available in the public record.