(NOISE) Re: Free Pronto Secure Offer

geoff geoff at commtouch.co.il
Thu Aug 15 19:42:35 PDT 1996

To: unicorn at schloss.li, cypherpunks at toad.com
Date: Fri Aug 16 02:41:34 1996
Unicorn,

> No, I was merely pointing out that if the review revealed that it
> had problems (one assumed that the intent of peer review is to reveal
> such problems in the first place, but perhaps you just like giving
> software away?) then the offered reward was valueless.

Peer review seems to have voted that their risk paid off.

> A lot of people use DES on this list too I'll wager.
and...

> I "tried out" your promotional scheme when I read your message, and
> it was that scheme which my opinion targeted.

You misinterpreted my reply to a list member's enquiry about whether
our offer of Pronto Secure in exchange for feedback was still
available.

> This is a subjective question.
Yes.

> Cypherpunks is always getting the cash poor developer who thinks he
> very clever because he has to pay testers no money if he offers his
> new product free to the person who discovers a flaw, or writes a
> review.

Unicorn, you are again letting your fingers move faster than your
brain. On what do you base your evaluation of our liquidity ? (not that
it is relevant). Most Cypherpunks are technically savvy and crypto
aware people, they provide a perfect community for evaluating and
debugging a security enabling product. I would strongly recommend this
route to any developer of serious security enhancing software. My
sincere thanks to all c'punks who have and continue to provide
incredibly valuable input into Pronto Secure.

> From your home page, I would guess that you request that reviewers
> allow you to make their comments public.  That's called an
> endorsement, and, by the way, people are usually paid for them.
> Sometimes in the millions. Think Michael Jordan is getting a deal
> when you use his name to promote your product and then give him a
> $99.00 piece of software (which is effectively worth the amount of
> time it takes to write a few kiss ass paragraphs on the software, not
> $99.00)?

Unicorn, you are again making groundless assumptions. I suggest that
you do some fence painting before you enlighten us with your opinions
about our "kiss ass paragraphs" of code.
Unless Michael Jordon is reading Schneier on the sly, his endorsement
of Pronto secure is not worth 99c.

> Alturisim is a pipe dream.
Depends what you are putting in your pipe :)
I venture that most c'punks would agree that moving strong e-mail
security into mainstream is a good thing. This is not going to happen
without people making money from it.

>> Unicorn, you are invited to whitewash my fence :)
> Do I have to review pronto secure first?
Yes.

Geoff.

Geoff Klein, Pronto Secure Product Manager;   www.commtouch.com
My PGP public Key 1814AD45 can be obtained by sending a message
to geoff at commtouch.co.il with "Get PGP Key" as the subject.