Crypto Policy Variant

Frank Stuart fstuart at vetmed.auburn.edu
Wed Aug 14 19:17:23 PDT 1996

[...]
>Here is Staelin's idea:
>(1) You can use any crypto you want, but you must keep a record
>of the crypto keys you used.
>(2) The government can ask for the crypto keys later, if they have
>a court order, just as they can ask for any of your other papers
>or documents. You must give the key(s) to them, just as you
>must turn over your private papers in such a situation.
>(There would have to be an appropriate penalty for losing the
>key...)
[...]
>Is this workable??
[...]

Here's my key, your honor.  I used a one-time pad to do the encryption.  As
you can plainly see, the encrypted file that the prosecution made such a big
deal about contains nothing but some of my favorite verses from the King James
Bible.  You shouldn't infer anything from the fact that another key would
make the file contain the evil stuff that was alleged (even though it is a bit
strange that the last verse ends in the middle of a word).

                          | (Douglas) Hofstadter's Law:
                          | It always takes longer than you expect, even
Frank Stuart              | when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.