More on "Fraud" and Anguilla

Vincent Cate vince at offshore.com.ai
Tue Aug 13 22:05:28 PDT 1996

> I've been thinking about this whole "Taxbomber" issue of "fraud."

Again, what I said was my lawyer called and said it was illegal to sell
fake passports in Anguilla.  The fraud was taxbomber saying he never sold
fake passports in his post to the net of "feel sorry for me my ISP made me
relocate even though I never sold fake passports".

> (I'm
> still not completely sure whether Taxbomber lost his account at Offshore
> Information Services Ltd. because:
>
> a) what he was offering actually violated Anguillan law (was there a
> determination that selling camouflage passports violates a specific
> statute?)

My lawyer, probably the top lawyer in the country, said it is illegal in
Anguilla. I don't have a copy of that law.

> b) what he was offering constituted fraud (to whom? His customers certainly
> knew what they were buying. To potential victims in the future?)

Not clear if it is defined as fraud by the law.

> c) he brought unwelcome attention to Anguilla in general and to Offshore
> Information Services Ltd. in particular. (Vince's mention that the whole
> island had read the story suggests something to this.)

This is part of it.  If nobody knew where he was things might have
continued as they were.  I mention it as a lesson learned.

> d) he violated some particular clause of his service agreement with
> Offshore Information Services Ltd.

We did not have any contract.  I have since posted a page with the policy.
Fair point.

> Now I read from this that Vince is encouraging "multi-level-marketing
> companies" to use his service. Am I wrong on this?
>
> Another name for this, commonly used, is "pyramid scheme." Or "Ponzi
> scheme."

Well, multi-level marketing does not need to be pyramid scheme, but
you are right that it could be bad news.  So I have taken off that
encouragement from my web page.  Thanks.

  --  Vince

Vincent Cate   vince at offshore.com.ai  http://www.offshore.com.ai/vince/
Offshore Information Services         http://www.offshore.com.ai/