RANT re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption

Brad Dolan bdolan at use.usit.net
Tue Aug 13 20:29:35 PDT 1996

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> In my experience, Americans are loathe to invest money overseas
> unless it is highly profitable.  The reason is obvious.  They
> understand--or think they understand--the rules here.  In
> historical terms, US investments have been more stable and safer
> than investments overseas.  (Which is why, by the way, that the
> US is the worlds largest tax haven in the world, but I digress.)

Which is why it is possible to be angry about NAFTA and the Mexican
bailout without being a protectionist.

Why should I pay taxes to my government so it can protect capital
investments in Mexico, thereby reducing one of my selling points as an
American worker?

... and while I'm ranting...

Can somebody explain why:

1. Good jobs of the future are knowledge jobs which require little
capital investment.

and

2. We need a capital gains tax cut to encourage capital investment to
stimulate the growth of good jobs of the future.

?

bd