[NOISE] Re: photographed license plates

Jim McCoy mccoy at communities.com
Tue Aug 13 19:03:51 PDT 1996

rpowell at algorithmics.com writes:
>Simon Spero <ses at tipper.oit.unc.edu> writes:
>     > In the UK they now use cameras to deter speeding [...]
>
> In Ontario, they tried this on some of the major highways.  The most
> interesting thing about it was that it was proved time and time again
> that the technology was not up to snuff: there was an almost 0% chance
> of being caught.  When the license plate wasn't obscured or unreadable
> (which it usually was) the computerized mailing system made some
> stupid mistake that allowed the person to get off if they challenged
> it.

One problem with using such systems in the US (I have no idea about traffic
laws in Ontario so maybe this was the loophole you mentioned) is that even
with a perfect shot of the license plate the system only identifies a car,
not a driver.  Speeding tickets are given to drivers, not necessarily to
the owner of the speeding car.  Here in the states the easy challenge to
such a ticket would be "it was not me driving when that photo was taken" and
the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove that you were the driver.
Since some states do not require front license plates the cameras take shots
of the tail end of the car, not the best angle for identifying drivers.

jim