Hoax: A ban on cryptography?

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Aug 13 13:12:44 PDT 1996

At 5:01 PM -0400 8/12/96, Timothy C. May wrote:
> At 2:37 AM 8/13/96, David Kennedy wrote:
> >My mailer thinks the e$pam list pulled this from cypherpunks:
<snip>

> Wake up.
>
> And for those who forward my stuff, please include appropriate disclaimers
> to your "spammees" that a) one should read things with an appreciation that
> a post may be tongue in cheek, b) that back-spamming to another list is not
> cool, and c) that I don't want to be bothered.

Yeah. What he said. I hope the cypherpunks list will accept my apologies.

There are firm rules about this to e$pam subscribers, and, while I haven't
had much occasion to enforce it lately, I might have to, which means
kicking the offenders off e$pam.

Strike one, Mr. Kennedy.

The rule is, if you're on a list with derivative content, particularly one
with as large a source-base as e$pam, do NOT reply directly to the source
list, in this case cypherpunks.

In the case of e$pam, there's a subsidiary discussion list, e$, which was
set up for this purpose. Use it. e$ has even gotten to the point where it's
generating its own traffic, now, which is nice.

To e$pam readers, if you want to talk on cypherpunks, or cyberia,
austrianecon, or any or the other 100 or so lists and newsgroups e$pam is
filtered from, sign on to the source list itself, read the traffic there
for a while, and *then* post something. In other words, become a *member*
of the list, and have some manners.

Again, I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused to the
cypherpunks list.

BTW, I thought Tim's hoax was a good one, but, given that it hadn't shown
up anywhere else on the net, (and congress isn't in session :-)), it was
pretty easy to spot. It *did* give one pause, though.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/