Article on Electronic Commerce with a few too many

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue Aug 13 00:02:16 PDT 1996

At 08:19 PM 8/12/96 EDT, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>jim bell <jimbell at pacifier.com> writes:
>> I too find this concept offensive, at least to the extent that it is kept a
>> secret from the marketplace. Even so, as a libertarian and free-market
>> capitalist, I certainly see nothing wrong with "allowing such behavior," and
>> indeed  I'd see something wrong with NOT "allowing" it.  Nevertheless, to
>> the extent it occurs it should be well understood and identified for what it
>> is.
>
>This reminds me of the recent revelation how a major disposable lens maker
>was marketing three lines of lenses: cheap ones, good for a few days;
>medium ones, good for a week; very expensive ones, good for a month.
>You guessed it - the lenses inside the packaging were identical.
>
>(I find that most self-described "libertarians" are actually fucking
statists.)

I don't see how that last statement follows anything that went before.  I
made it explicitly clear that companies have a right to market in such ways;
I also have a right to dislike those methods.

As for other libertarians, I don't see that they're appreciably different.  So
where did that last comment come from?

BTW, your KOTM credential is outdated...are you trying to have it renewed?

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com