"X-Ray Gun" for imperceptible searches

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Mon Aug 12 19:30:13 PDT 1996

	I would wonder if a jamming device (preferably area-effect with a
slowly randomly varying swathe of area, to avoid figuring out who was carrying
it) would be possible, or some variety of shielding (i.e., emitting waves
looking similar to flesh).
	-Allen

>   Direct Media
>                    NEW X-RAY GUN TRADES PRIVACY FOR SAFETY
>      Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net
>      Copyright &copy 1996 The Associated Press

>   SANTA MONICA, Calif. (Aug 12, 1996 09:47 a.m. EDT) -- The latest
>   weapon against terrorism can see right through you.

>   The Passive Millimeter Wave Imager can X-ray through clothing to "see"
>   a concealed weapon, plastic explosives or drugs. A police officer can
>   surreptitiously aim it into a crowd from as far away as 90 feet.

>   The new X-ray gun is becoming a symbol for an unlikely alliance of
>   civil libertarians and gun owners who fear the fight against crime and
>   terrorism may be waged at the expense of personal freedoms.

>   "I'm incredibly concerned," said John Henry Hingson, a past president
>   of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, meeting here
>   this past week. "The entire nation could become a victim of illegal
>   searches and seizures and the law is powerless to protect them from
>   these police abuses."

>   But in these nervous times following the the crash of TWA Fight 800
>   and bombings at the Olympics, Oklahoma City and the World Trade
>   Center, many Americans are now willing to trade some of their privacy
>   and civil liberties for greater security.

>   A poll last week by the Los Angeles Times found that a majority of
>   people -- 58 percent -- said they would curtail some civil liberties
>   if it would help thwart terrorism. Thirteen percent said it would
>   depend on what rights were at stake. The poll didn't ask people to
>   single out any rights.

>   The Clinton administration has proposed increased wiretapping and
>   other anti-terrorism steps, and is doling out research grants for
>   cutting edge anti-crime technology that once may have been intended
>   for only military use.

[...]