Imprisoned for Not Having a Gun?

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sat Aug 10 23:34:08 PDT 1996

At 10:21 PM 8/10/96, Hallam-Baker wrote:
>Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>                           SANDY SANDFORT
>>  In addition
>> to the "exceptions," there was no penalty for violation of the
>> law, thus making sure it was unenforceable.  It was not a case
>> of "pro-gun fascism" but of rough American political humor.  At
>> the very least it kept the city council out of more serious
>> mischief.
>
>Was there a bar against a person obtaining an injunction to
>force someone to purchase a gun or a provision providing that
>no liabilities would be incurred as a result of not owning one?
>
>The law is much too important to start abusing to make political
>points.

This, of course, was my exact point. I don't buy the argument that Kennesaw
(or whatever) was just making a symbolic point. If one community passes a
law which mandates the ownership of guns, in contravention to the Second
Amendment, then another community could ban ownership of guns, using the
same logic and "general principal."

(Several have, of course. I think such laws violate the Second Amendment,
but apparently the courts do not agree.)

And what of making a "citizen's arrest" of a "perp" who refuses to own a
gun. I prefer not to have to guess which laws are real and which are merely
posturing.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!