National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption Technology

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Aug 10 12:25:15 PDT 1996

At 08:15 AM 8/10/96 -0400, Scottauge at aol.com wrote:
> I was watched CBS reports a couple nights ago about how all these blue collar
> and now white collar jobs are going across seas.
>
> How programmers in India are taking jobs away from us, programmers and
> engineerss, the people pioneering them.

Indian engineers typically get
one tenth or less of what European programmers get.

Many companies, for example Informix, have campuses here and
there across the USA, a campus in India, and several campuses
in Europe.  These campuses are linked by private televideo
connections, private voice mail systems, and the internet.

So theoretically a programmer in India should be much the same
to them as a programmer anywhere else.  Why should they care
where he lives.

Yet these companies continually spend vast sums of money on
politicians, lawyers, and perhaps bureaucrats, in
order to get their engineers out of India, so that they can pay
them more than ten times as much in some foreign country.

Informix has facilities in the US that are staffed mostly by
Indians.  Why did it not leave these teams in India, where they
would cost less than a tenth as much?

Clearly therefore, the same man is more than ten times as
valuable to them when he is not in India.

Since the communications are pretty much the same wherever he
is located, what makes the difference?

The power of the Indian government over that man and his work
makes the difference.

That man is poor because he is more subject to the power of the
state, which values him no more than any other expendable
slave, than he is contractually subject to those who value what
he can do.

Crypto relevance?

When the crypto economy gets going, and government interference
in the exchange of specialized labor becomes less effective, we
can expect to see a radical rise in the standard of living.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd at echeque.com