Email Bombing

se7en se7en at dis.org
Sat Aug 10 07:18:19 PDT 1996

Two messages were sent from my account to dc-stuff having me taking
credit for email bombs against certain people, namely: Jeff Slaton,
Captain Crunch and the Cyberangels.

I first became aware of these emails after receiving a message from
Emmanuel Goldstein asking about who was doing this, as his email box was
being slaughtered at that very moment.

I *DID NOT* email bomb anyone. This is going to be hard to believe since
those mentioned as targets of annihilation were people I have fucked with
in the past very openly on dc-stuff. This combined with the current
"blame everything on se7en" attitude makes it very hard for anyone to
take this professed innocence seriously.

I called my SysAdmin this morning at 4:00 AM PST and he ran through the
logs of my account. The emails did in fact come from my account, but, the
logs show unusual activity which can't be accounted for by either side.
Fortunately, the logs show that the actual bombing was not done from my
account.

I was on IRC for several hours talking to trusted friends while this all
happened. Whoever penetrated my account knew what the hell they were
doing in respects to log modification. A re-install is in process as well
as a tightening of overall site security, especially my account.

I am not really upset other than my email account was used to take credit
for something I didn't do. My account could have been used for more
nefarious purposes; it wasn't. Veterans of dc-stuff know I am not afraid
to take credit for the things I do. I did not do this. But I will also
not lose any sleep over the Spam King being hit. Captain Crunch: well,
after all is said and done, he is harmless. Same with the CyberAngels:
they can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. I have proved that many
times. In the end, they are harmless also. Hitting them wouldn't
accomplish anything tangible.

At this time, the initial mail headers show the attack was launched via
sun.dmci.com from either a netcom.com or an io.* domain. No doubt the
account used to launch the attack was hacked. The identity of the bomber
may never be known. All I know is that it wasn't me. Take it for what's
it worth. Time will vindicate me, as time always does. I just hope it's
sooner than later. Hold your judgement of me until such time.

And while dis.org has been recently compromised, I wouldn't be so quick
to blame this on the same people. I have had intermediary contact with
Galf sufficient for me to believe he made his point and has moved on,
having not been responsible for this latest wave of email impersonation.
Recent logs have shown that a kind of "open season" has been declared
upon dis.org by every newbie out there that has heard of recent events. I
say newbie because none of the recent attempts to gain access have proved
successful.

I used to laugh about email bombing. But when it happens and you are
caught up in it, it is not funny. If any of you out there think it is,
wait until you find tens of thousands of messages in your inbox and an
incoming rate of 750 per minute, every minute. Scripts will not save you.

se7en