Drive the SF Central Freeway, have your license plate photo'ed.

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 9 15:21:17 PDT 1996

At 10:45 PM 8/8/96 -0700, Lucky wrote:
>At 21:55 8/8/96, i am not a number! wrote:
>>CBS radio news this morning: 80,000 commuters traveling the central
>>f'way in SF will have information mailed to them regarding the quake retrofit
>>How?  Their license plates have been photographed.

>You *are* making this up, right? Please say you did.

It's possible today, and probably affordable.  If not, it will be in 1-2 years,
as Moore's law cranks down processing costs and video technology improves.
For this application, they don't have to photograph every car, or read every
plate successfully, or do it in real time.  The objective is to get lots of
drivers to take other routes or mass transit so they don't have to dump all
the traffic onto surface streets right around the construction.

Besides, this is nice friendly San Francisco.  Imagine New York City doing it:
        Yo!  Mr. E. Koch, 1234 E. 89th St. -
        We saw you takin' the West Side Highway last week.
        You better stop that as of next Friday.
        We know where you live.
        You got a problem wit' that?
                        Rudy.