"Thank you for not smoking" and other euphemisms

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Fri Aug 9 01:16:11 PDT 1996

tcmay at got.net (Timothy C. May) writes:
> "Petite jurors" Is this a typo, or a special term of art in North Carolina?

This is the official name for "regular" juries, as opposed to the grand jury.

> (And then there's the "sliding scale donation suggested," say, from $5 to
> $15. Presumably this is the embodiment of pure Marxist theory, "from each
> according to his ability, to each according to his need." Be interesting to
> see their reaction if one declined to make any donation.)

Well - some time ago I came to a C++ users group meeting and had only $2
on me. The guy at the door said rather sternly: "the suggested donation
is three dollars". I said, sorry, I only got two, and just walked by.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM