driver license info, loss of liberty, etc.

Pete Loshin pete at loshin.com
Thu Aug 8 21:16:18 PDT 1996

The furor over the Oregon DMV database seems a bit misplaced: this type of
information is considered to be in the public domain.  You can buy it on
tape/whatever for business purposes direct from the state.  There are lots
of people who I don't want to have any information about me who can get
what's on file down at the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles.  That's the way
it works.

Now, there's lots of times when it would have been nice to have access to
that information myself.  Use your imagination.  Why should the public be
denied the right to access this information when businesses have had that
privilege for some time?  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be
taken away from businesses, either, though I suppose the states will now
pass laws prohibiting the public dissemination of this data.

BTW, has anyone heard about the Post Office now requiring that all airmail
packages over 1 lb must now be posted in person (no mail drop boxes)?
 Someone told me this, and it sounds just stupid and pointless enough to be
true.  I won't have a chance to go to the PO until Monday, so I'd
appreciate any updates.

regards,
-pl