Internal Passports

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Wed Aug 7 06:08:40 PDT 1996

Duncan Frissell <frissell at panix.com> writes:
> At 12:06 AM 8/6/96 -0700, Marshall Clow wrote:
>
> >I have found that promising to provide the necessary docs, and then failing
> to do so, is the least confrontational and most effective way around this.
> >
> >"Delay is the deadliest form of denial"
>
> Works for me as well.  Likewise, self employment.

That's the key word here - I don't think you need I-9 if you get paid on 1099
or equivalent. However for W-4 employment, the emplyer must send a signed I-9
to los federales. Otherwise the computer will flag this situation and they'll
get a letter asking why they pay wages to someone whose I-9 isn't on file.
I suppose when the person is "obviously" U.S.-born, the h.r. people might lie
and say on I-9 that they saw a document. Then again, I've seen folks who looked
and spoke more American (or German-Swiss, or Romanian) than most natives. :-)

By the way, another advantage of 1099 is that if you have your corporation,
you give its EIN, not your SSN to the clients, whom you don't necessarily
want to know your SSN.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM