Stop the presses -- Anti-terrorism bill not that bad

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Aug 7 05:43:31 PDT 1996

At 05:16 PM 8/5/96 -0400, hallam at Etna.ai.mit.edu wrote:

>Making that argument defeats your case. Irespective of the framers
>of the constitution nobody in Congress or the Administration believes
>that you have a right to take up arms against the government.

Have you checked with Helen Chenoweth (R-Idaho) or B1-Bob Dornan (R-Orange
County) about this assertion.  Not to mention our former black radical
friend from Oakland in Congress.  I bet you could find a fair number of
supporters for the concept of the "right of revolution" in Congress and
other parts of the government.  Better hunting on Usenet, of course.

When former Idaho congressman and senator Steve Syms was first running for
Congress, his slogan was "Traditionally, Americans have had three means of
preserving their freedoms.  The jury box, the ballot box and -- when those
failed -- the cartridge box."

In addition it seems to me that a certain "Mobe" leader and campus
revolutionary made it as far as the White House (or was he just spying for
the Company at the time?).  (Mobe = Student Mobilization Committee to End
the War in Vietnam)

Try not to say "no one believes X".  That statement can always be falsified
and usually with thousands of counter examples.

DCF

"Article 1 Section 1 of the Constitution of the State of Oregon - All power
is inherent in the people and it is their right to alter or abolish the
government whenever they believe it necessary or appropriate to do so."