Censorship through proxy

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Wed Aug 7 03:16:49 PDT 1996

At 4:23 PM 8/6/96, Joel McNamara wrote:
>SingNet, one of Singapore's larger ISPs is telling all of their subscribers
>they must move to using SingNet's proxy server by September 14, 1996 if they
>want to have access to the Web.
>
>If you try to access one of the SBA's banned sites, you'll get a message
>that says, "The site you requested is not accessible."
>
>Check out:
>
>http://www.singnet.com.sg/cache/sbareg.html

Sing Sing (the country is now a prison, so...) is one of the states we
should think about targetting for "special attention." Not in the sense of
violence, but in the sense of offering help to freedom fighters, those who
want to use stego, web proxies, etc.

I wonder what would happen if "Computers, Freedom, and Privacy '98" was
held in Sing Sing?

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!