Internal Passports

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Tue Aug 6 18:14:58 PDT 1996

At 07:37 PM 8/5/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>But the law says, these days, that I must verify the
>legality of workers *if* they appear to be dark-skinned, Mexican, Latin, or
>the like. I say "if" because there are no requirements in general for
>white-skinned, Anglo workers....no work permits, no proofs of citizenship
>(such a document is currently lacking in the American pantheon...I, a mixed
>descendant of Mayflower colonist and Scandinavian immigrants, lack such
>"proof").

Naughty naughty Tim.  You're violating the Immigration Control and
Nationality Act of 1986.  You are supposed to check all employee's IDs even
your own childrens' and fill out that I-9 form.  You have to verify identity
and right to work using a menu of documents ranging from passports and SS
cards to Driver's licenses and "American Indian Tribal Documents" (I gotta
get me some of them).  And there are special provisions to punish
discrimination against those who appear foreign.  After all, there are loads
of illegal Canadians and Irish here.  People are always coming from the
third world counties.  <G>

The law also required that a commission study whether or not the "foreign
appearing" were suffering discrimination because of the law and it reported
a few years later that sure enough, they were.

DCF