A Libertine Question (fwd)

Alan Horowitz alanh at infi.net
Sat Aug 3 23:40:47 PDT 1996

> Since the inflation rate on a dollar is flat across the board in our economy
> simple inflation does not account for this rise in prices in a niche market.

   No. The COnsumer Price Index (the Bureau of Labor Statistics also puts
out the Producer Price Index, but that is not as widely reported in the
cartoon-news mass media), _is_ a single number, but only because it is
_defined as_ a measure of central tendency of all the price rises. It is
an artificial number. Each individual price rise, does swing freely.