SOUP KITCHENS (fwd)

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Aug 2 22:17:39 PDT 1996

At 2:10 AM 8/3/96, Jim Choate wrote:

>True enough, but not the whole story. If a dog or cat is kept well and fed
>good quality food they live 10+ years. The average life of an animal on the
>street is between 2-5 years. As to people, we now live around 75-80 years,
>prior to all these rules and regulations on food and such the average was
>20-25. If we go back to what you propose you would be dead a long time ago.

Hardly a proved correlation. A lot of other factors come into play. But
never mind. No point arguing.

>I personaly find it reassuring that some bunch of knuckle-heads are unable
>to start a chip making facility like you support. The thought of finding
>flourine compounds in the local river (where I get my tap water) or simply
>dumped in the air is a little unsettling. Just because some group of bozo's
>want to start a business is not sufficient justification for that to be
>allowed.

A straw man. There is is no evidence that these startup companies are
dumping stuff in rivers. Jeesh. The point is that large companies learn how
to keep large staffs employed filling out paperwork, and they actually have
come to see it is a good way to keep small companies from forming.

>It seems to me that many of the folks who recognize downsized workers pleas
>for their 'right to a job' as so much bunk are at the same time supporting a
>businesses right to start up. A pretty humorous double standard.

Not at all comparable.

>I have never heard of anyone being arrested for giving away food, only
>selling it without a license. I bet the Salvation Army soup kitchen would be
>worried if this claim were true (they aren't and it ain't).

Then you weren't reading the thread, which in several posts described this
very situation. "Food Not Bombs" was giving away soup, chile, and other
such stuff at a park in Santa Cruz (and maybe elsewhere, e.g., San
Francisco). They were busted.

Now do you understand the situation?

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!