URGENT: Surveillance Bill Gets New Life - House Vote lLikely TODAY!

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Aug 2 16:48:33 PDT 1996

At 3:06 PM 8/2/96, Jonah Seiger wrote:

>It's not over yet....
>
>The House has scheduled a vote on "suspension" for a 'counter-terrorism'
>bill TODAY (Friday).
>
>Despite media reports that the negotiations had stalled out, house
>Republicans have apparently worked out their differences and are set to
>vote on the bill today.  The Senate may or may not vote on the measure on
>Saturday.
>
>No one I've talked to knows for sure what's in the bill, though I have
>heard that there are no encryption provisions and that some of the wiretap
>proposals have been scaled back.

I doubt any of the Congressjerks know what's in the thing they've voting
on, either. This is the American way: wait 'til the last minute, pull a
couple of "all nighters," go on vacation, and then claim ignorance. It
worked when we were in school, so, hey, why not run the government the same
way?

("I had no idea of what was in the Communications Decency Act...it just
sounded like the "decent" thing to vote for."....."You mean the
Anti-Terrorism Bill suspends habeus corpus? What's that? I'll ask my
staffers to look into it.")

Fuck 'em all. Fawkes had it wrong...they're not worth the powder to blow
'em to hell.

All we can do is work on technological workarounds. Making their $2 billion
Wiretap Boondoggle a worthless exercise is a start.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!