Bombs & bomb threats in LA

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri Aug 2 15:44:16 PDT 1996

At 09:33 AM 8/2/96 -0000, Conrad Walton wrote:

>i'm not exactly sure what an acid bomb is, but according to my book, The
>Anarchist Cookbook, that I bought in 1972 (was the internet around back
>then?), there is a compound called "picric acid" that is "more powerful
>than TNT, but has some disadvantages".

Picric acid is 2,4,6 trinitrophenol, easily produced by the nitric/sulfuric
acid nitration of phenol.

If picric acid contains about 15% of water or more, it is rather stable and
innocuous.  If it is allowed to completely dry out, it then becomes
sensitive to detonation with a blasting cap.

One disadvantage of picric acid is that it reads with heavy metals (copper,
lead, etc) to form unstable picrate salts.

>There is also instructions on using an inverted vial of sulpheric acid,
>that will then eat thu the stopper at the top (bottom) of the vial. when
>the acid makes it thru, then is mixes with Potassium Chloride

Potassium _Chlorate_

and causes
>a small explosion which sets off the larger explosion in the dynomite
>packed around it.

It would probably require a booster...

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com