Tolerance

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Aug 2 15:42:34 PDT 1996

"Chris Adams" writes:
> Just a comment to all of the 'true libertarians' out there, especially
> the "defend to the death" types:  How many of you defended Mr.
> Sternlight's recent membership?

Libertarianism means that you oppose *government* censorship -- not
that you feel obligated to listen to every idiot who comes down the
street.

In other words -- I defend to the death the right of David Sternlight
to say anything he likes. However, thats very different from feeling
that anyone is required to listen, or saying that a privately run
forum must tolerate him.

Perry