Let's Say "No!" to Single, World Versions of Software

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 2 14:34:18 PDT 1996

At 02:16 PM 7/31/96 -0700, Tom Weinstein <tomw at netscape.com> wrote:

>The only thing they can revoke is their permission to provide it for
>download over the internet.  They can't revoke our permission to sell
>it in stores or via snail mail.

They _could_ refuse to give export permission for new RC4/40 versions,
and threaten prosecution if it's placed on the Internet.
It would be highly bogus, of course, but that's one of the "benefits"
of using selective enforcement and having the export strength limitations
be an individual-case-basis rather than a defined law they can be held to.

Tim wrote:
> Actually approving of disapproving a piece of software for sale
> to U.S. citizens is not currently possible.

Sure.  The Commerce Klaus of the Constitution lets them do it
if they want to, though that required Congressional cooperation.

	TRUST NO ONE!