A Libertine Question (fwd)

Cerridwyn Llewyellyn ceridwyn at wolfenet.com
Fri Aug 2 11:42:54 PDT 1996

Jim Choate <ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com> argued:

>As long as they have a license to operate a food dispencing facility (in
>other words they are certifying they are aware of the correct processes for
>such operations) then nobody should have the right to interfere with their
>operation unless with probable cause (ie proof of danger such as bad weenies
>in their hot dogs). This would not apply to individuals or families making
>such food in the same place for their own and NOT public consumption.

I believe the issue with Food Not Bombs is they didn't get the appropriate
permits, etc, or were denied them, or something.  However, I disagree with
you on this point.  I think they shouldn't be required to obtain a license,
but everyone whom they serve food to should know that they don't have such a
license.  This would equal informed consent.  Also, with Food Not Bombs, many
of the people that the food is being served to is also involved in cooking,
distributing food, and cleaning up.  I've been told it's exactly like a big
picnic, except for anyone is invited to help and/or eat.