Southern Cracker Beer Bombs in Trucks

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri Aug 2 04:06:36 PDT 1996

At 09:23 PM 8/1/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Buy a section of metal water pipe 1/2 by 6 inches long, threaded on both
>ends.  Buy two metal caps to fit.  These are standard items in hardware
>stores.  Drill a 1/16th hole in the center of the pipe. This is easy with a
>good drill bit. Hanson is a good brand to use.  Screw a metal cap tightly
>on one end. Fill the pipe to within 1/2 inch of the top with black powder.
>Do not pack
>the powder. Don't even tap the bottom of the pipe to make it settle.  You want
>the powder loose.  For maximum explosive effect, you need dry, fine powder
>sitting loose in a very rigid container.

For "safety" purposes (at least for the builder!) I would add that the
threads on the pipe should be covered with a generous quantity of vaseline,
grease, wax, or other similar material.  Otherwise, the final tighten-up
might cause an explosion if granules of powder get stuck in the threads and
ignite due to friction.

Evidence reduction tips:

Discard drill bit used to make hole in pipe.  Carefully avoid leaving any
drill shavings in work area.

Completely use/discard any extra powder/fuse not used in the bomb.
(Chemical analysis will reveal similarity...)

When tightening the pipe/cap, shield the work with a thick layer of
folded-up paper towel or other material, so your Vice-Grips (or other such
wrench, or vice) don't leave "tool marks" on the pipe.  (Discard, by burning, such paper after use.)

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com