(Un)Freeh makes claims on wiretapping

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Thu Aug 1 16:33:41 PDT 1996

	The usual governmental rhetoric. Again, I'm not seeing achnowledgement
from anyone except maybe the ACLU that there's no evidence that such tactics
would have stopped the TWA bombing - not that they would be justified even if
it would have. Legalized drugs, etcetera would free up quite enough law
enforcement to take care of the problem.
	-Allen

>   Cobb Group - Netscape

>           FBI DIRECTOR: WIRETAP PROPOSALS WON'T THREATEN LIBERTIES

>      Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net
>      Copyright &copy 1996 The Associated Press

>   WASHINGTON (Aug 1, 1996 1:41 p.m. EDT) -- FBI Director Louis Freeh
>   said today Americans are under increasing attack by terrorists and
>   proposed new wiretapping authority would not greatly expand
>   government's powers.

>   "The country and the American people have been experiencing an
>   increasing war against them by terrorists and terrorist-supported
>   activities," Freeh told a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing.
>   Americans "are clearly under attack and we are the prime targets for
>   this kind of terrorism."

[...]