connecting Uni to the Web O Trust

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Tue Apr 30 02:15:48 PDT 1996

At 17:56 4/28/96, bryce at digicash.com wrote:

>I mean, I could explain it to him, but not even counting the
>difficulties of communicating such complex concepts among
>humans, there is the fact that if Mitch is here, he can
>prevent the real Uni from seeing the explanation, and he can
>act in Black Uni's place as if he understands.  Then he can
>go through the necessary steps to increase our trust in his
>pubkey, as if Uni were going through them.

It is generally acceptable to sign a key after seeing a very easily
forgable driver license. Even if you have seen the person before on TV, a
similar looking actor could be substituted, the true person could be
brainwashed, and what if the person has multiple personality disorder?
Should Jim's public key become invalid once John or Alexis have taken over?

The PGP web of trust is a practical solution for an imperfect world. Yes,
someone might have wrapped Uni into a bubble. But that would have to be
some damed good bubble for it to last so many years.

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.