Smartcards are coming to the US

Benjamin T. Moore btmoore at iquest.net
Mon Apr 29 23:38:01 PDT 1996

At 06:00 PM 4/20/96 -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
>Years after smartcards have become ubiquitous in such countries as Pakistan
>and Nepal, not to mention Europe, I just saw my first smartcard commercial
>ever on US television.
>
>Way to go :-)
>

>Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer, DigiCash, Inc.
>
>-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
>   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Hummm... Did you ever wonder *why* this was introduced to the "third-world"
countries first? If you've been following the progress of the so called "smart-
card," you will have noticed it was first introduced to areas that are extremely
"low-tech" and well off the beaten path. Also the areas it was *first* introduced
were generally marked by a high population density. Notice, "low-tech," high
population density and in locations that are definitely out of the loop when it
comes to news coverage. There was obviously a strategy involved and I think
it would be prudent to wonder why.

The U.S. is one of the most technologically advanced nations on the face of the
earth. The citizenry are very familiar with technology and are quite adept in it's
uses. Not to mention the fact that some of the worlds pivotal financial markets are
located here, it makes one wonder why they didn't introduce the card here.

I for one am not nearly so intrigued with the benefits of these "smart cards." I
see too much room for mischief. Already, where I live, there are Insurance com-
panies that have access to the data bases of grocery stores in this area. If one
uses one's "debit card" to purchase groceries... and say, purchases a carton of
cigarettes for a loved one or friend, the insurance company has access to that
information. There is a growing collection of information being gathered on every-
one in this country. Although it appears to be harmless, using sophisticated
collation and analysis techniques, the accuracy of the inferences *I* believe
constitute an invasion of privacy and a clear and present danger.

Consider a scheme used by local law enforcement here several years ago. They
set up an operation with the several horticulture stores. Anyone purchasing
"grow lights" was noted, their license plates were copied and later... based on
the fact, a person purchased a "grow light" a search warrant was issued for the
search of their homes. Although grow lights are used all the time for legitimate
purposes it was assumed that anyone purchasing one was growing marijuana.
Imagine being awakened at 6:00 am by a team of narcotics officers with dogs
and a warrant allowing them to search your premises.

Given the current asset forfeiture laws, and given that well over 75% of the
money supply by government studies has been contaminated with cocaine, you
could lose your home if the dogs happen to "hit" on any money in your home.
Never mind you're not one who grows or deals in narcotics, this is extremely
dangerous! In the new anti-terrorism bill recently signed, the FBI has been given
the ability to tap 1 out of 10 phone lines without the need to actually come out and
set up a tap on your line. This will now be handled automatically for them by your
friendly phone company.

I see "smart cards" as one more twist in the ever tightening noose around our
necks and the Bill of Rights. Not only will the cards be able to keep your complete
history from cradle to the grave on them, but what's to prevent them from being
used in the future as an internal passport of sorts? We are rapidly approaching
the point where we will be stopped and required to produce our papers. This
information will be readily available to any government agency... and not a few
corporations to exploit at will. No I'm not at all enthused with the advent of the
smart card.

Currently there is much discussion regarding various banking institutions
charging excessive amounts for transaction fees at your local "ATM."  Wonder
how much they will be looking to charge for this service? Something to think
about.

Benjamin T. Moore, Jr.
(btmoore at iquest.net)

"When they came for the Fourth Amendment I didn't say anything
because I had nothing to hide.
  When they came for the Second Amendment I didn't say anything
because I wasn't a gun owner.
  When they came for the Fifth and Sixth Amendments I didn't say
anything because I had committed no crimes.
  When they came for the First Amendment I couldn't say anything."
PGP Key available from key servers, or on request.
Key Fingerprint = 3D 90 0C 58 EE 65 AE 89 28 C5 58 A2 D5 F4 A8