The Joy of Java

Simon Spero ses at tipper.oit.unc.edu
Mon Apr 29 21:09:47 PDT 1996

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Marianne Mueller wrote:

> But let's not have a food fight.  Although entertaining in the short term,

I don't owe you anything! I don't owe you anything! Oh, food fight.

> reasonably secure way, on the internet, using Java.  We're working on a
> response to the Felten el al. paper, which will be posted to the net
> shortly.  I think some of their points are perfectly valid, some of their
> points are irrelevant, and a lot of the presentation is melodramatic.

Most of the emphasis in the paper seems to be on the lack of a
denotational semantics for java and the java VM, and on the lack of a
formally defined set of rules for type inferencing rules.

For security purposes, java-the-language is not particularly important;
it's the VM code that counts. This is a shame, as it's pretty easy to
come up with a reasonably clean denotation for java, wheras the byte code
gets pretty messy. It would probably be easier to get a cleaner semantics
if you define a set of rules to transform the byte code into an alternate
form and then define the denotational semantics for that. The paper
mentions  that the authors believe the VM to be unsuitable for a
denotational semantics, but the issue is not explored to any great depth.

> Melodrama is good for sound bites, I guess.

I take it twenty minutes before I go to sleep; seems to work pretty well.

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO