Anybody know anything about this?

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 28 04:06:13 PDT 1996

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996 anonymous-remailer at shell.portal.com wrote:

> [...]

Looks like lawyerese from the conference report reconciling the house and
senate versions of the bill to me. I only speak english, Spanish, HTML,
and perl, but given more information, I might try. Please give a better
citation of the source next time so that we ("we") have a chance in hell
of investigating further.

It appears to be an elucidation of legal ways for the guvmint to refuse to
release information on pending investigations of enumerated terrorist and
organized crime groups, of course. What parts of it are more or less
injurious to civil liberties than current law, I don't know. Get the full
text, the references, and a lawyer. All you're likely to get here is
speculation.

I usually trust and agree with EPIC, CDT, EFF, and the ACLU -- if they
have stated a position. I know they generally opposed the whole enchilada
of S.735 (which was "The Anti-Terrorism Bill"), but I don't know about
these provisions.

The Congressional Record is at http://thomas.loc.gov/
The US Code is at http://www.law.cornell.edu/

I don't know where to get the CFR online; anybody?

-rich