CryptoAnarchy: What's wrong with this picture?

Steve Reid steve at edmweb.com
Sun Apr 28 03:07:41 PDT 1996

> Why then shouldn't we expect that modern governments, in the face of
> widespread cryptography, will simply revert to more traditional (and
> brutal) systems such as head taxes, land taxes, travel tolls, etc.?

That's easy to get around- move to another country with another
government. I've read here that the US government would try to tax you
anyway, but it would be very difficult to collect... You could still
anonymously work in the US or some other strong economy, by telecommuting.

Also, you can get around head taxes by not letting the government know
where you are (easy with the anonymity thing). Travel tolls can be
avoided by not traveling (telecommute instead). Land taxes are more
difficult, since you kinda need a place to live, so maybe best to move to
another country.

I'm not advocating tax evasion, I'm just saying it could become possible.

There's no guarantee that crypto-anarchy will come to be... I think the
crypto genie is permanently out of the bottle (or at least will be soon),
but if anonymous digital cash doesn't catch on, crypto anarchy won't be
the same.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve at edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP Fingerprint: 11 C8 9D 1C D6 72 87 E6  8C 09 EC 52 44 3F 88 30 |
|              -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, IANAL. --                 |