Guardian angels, anonymity, and the decency brigade

Declan B. McCullagh declan+ at CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 26 05:53:26 PDT 1996

Attached is a message from the CyberAngels asking for rating volunteers.

Jim Thomas published a fascinating and illuminating article documenting
the seamier side of these self-appointed net.vigilantes in the Computer
underground Digest earlier this year. (I vaguely remember some legal
threats soon afterwards.) Their authoritarian and anti-privacy leanings
are clear in their FAQ, at <http://www.safesurf.com/cyberangels/>:

  9) What kinds of changes would the Guardian Angels / CyberAngels like
  to see?

  a) We would like to see an improvement in User identification. User ID is
  impossible to verify or trace back. The very anonymity of Users is itself
  causing an increase in rudeness, sexual abuse, flaming, and crimes like
  pedophile activity. We the Net Users must take responsibility for the
  problem ourselves. One of our demands is for more accountable User IDs
  on the Net. When people are anonymous they are also free to be criminals.
  In a riot you see rioters wearing masks to disguise their true identity.

So much for anonymous remailers! But the CyberAngels, in a fit of almost
painful hypocrisy, use anonymous remailers themselves, as Charles Platt
recounts in his book _Anarchy Online_ (their web page also says how
these virtues remain anonymous online):

      How would this decency crusade actually work in
 practice? Well, later in 1995, one net user received the
 following not-very-friendly, not-very-literate warning, sent
 via an anonymous remailer:

          The Net is out of control, sex crimes, hate crimes
     and felonies.
          Just as on the streets, CyberCrime is committed by
     a minority of criminals who destroy the quality of life
     for an innocent majority. And just like on the streets
     the Guardian Angels will combat it.
          We have good reason to believe that you are
     involved in unlawful, harmful, hateful, threatening
     and/or harassment, particularly relating to minors. We
     will be watching you.

      The netizen who found this in her mailbox was baffled
 and irritated. She had no idea what she'd done to provoke the
 warning, and since the message was anonymous, there was no
 way to _find out_ what she was supposed to have done.
     By November, the Angels claimed they had 200 volunteers
 working for them, busily searching for bad guys on the net.
 "We have reported a number of Child Pornographers (50) to
 Sysadmins [system administrators] this month," Colin Hatcher
 noted, although he was no longer signing his real name to his
 progress reports, perhaps in fear of reprisals from angry
 pedophiles. "Letters we have received back all share our
 concern and promise stern action. Remember, each electronic
 image represents a real life destroyed."

 [...]

     Some net users wondered, though, if Hatcher was
 qualified to draw a dividing line between good and bad, let
 alone ugly. They also worried that decency vigilantes might
 have a chilling effect on freedom of speech. A student at
 Rutgers University complained that some of the Angels' public
 statements "are threats to violate the civil liberties of
 users of the Internet." In addition, he said, "the record of
 the Guardian Angels suggests that they will step over even
 the bounds that they publicly set for themselves."

And, as Steven Levy wrote in Newsweek last October: "After the issue of
child safety in cyberspace came up on his radio talk show, [Curtis]
Sliwa decided to pursue in his usual high-profile fashion... Though the
CyberAngels cannot document a single case where one of their numerous
reports led directly to an arrest, they have compiled a fat file of
press clippings."

In the attached piece, the Angels hold themselves up as the arbiter of
what is appropriate for kids or not under the Safesurf system. So far so
good -- but what criteria do they use when checking to see if a site is
"genuinely kidsafe?" Where is it documented and published? What training
do their self-selected vigilantes have? Will the cypherpunks list
be blocked when we have messages like this one on it:

 http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~declan/rimm/asst/anti_porn_group_11_22_94.letter
 Those orphan kids in the terminally ill section of the hospital are so fun
 at night when they are drugged out. I love sucking on their tiny
 finger-sized cocks and probing their tight holes. Their slender little
 bodies are completely smooth. They're going to die pretty soon so they
 won't come back to me several years from now as hairy grown up men blaming
 me for why they are all mentally messed up. And since they are orphans
 with no one to look over them except for overworked staff, I could get
 away with just about anything.

Since blocking software like Safesurf and SurfWatch is central to our
case challenging the CDA, I believe we should support that software and
PICS-like third paty rating systems. Fortunately, that doesn't mean we
have to accept or support the efforts of their unfortunate and
intemperate net-vigilante allies.

But I still want to help rate some web pages, so ---- "Gabriel," I want
to be a CyberAngel. Sign me up!

-Declan (now a CyberSeraphim)