Anti-porn activists' old memo on alt.sex.*, anonymous remailers

Declan B. McCullagh declan+ at CMU.EDU
Thu Apr 25 13:48:18 PDT 1996

This is a note I came across in my archives hinting at how anti-porn
groups used the content of the alt.sex.* groups to pass the CDA, and how
they may not exactly be a fan of anonymous remailers.

Attached is a memo from Deen Kaplan, previously a vice president at the
then-named National Coalition Against Pornography, to other anti-porn
activists. Note that John McMickle soon afterwards became a member of
Sen. Chuck Grassley's staff and helped recruit witnesses for the July
1995 cyberporn hearings. (You may recall that Grassley was pushing for a
law even worse than the CDA.)

Some of the names on the To: line are easy to identify, like Rice-Hughes
and Jepsen from Enough is Enough! And Cathy Cleaver from the Family
Research Council, whom I'm debating in a few weeks. The others I haven't
figured out yet.

(The FRC is run by Gary Bauer, a former policy assistant to Reagan and a
former undersecretary at the Department of Education. Now Bauer heads
the FRC, the DC-based lobbying extension of James Dobson's Focus on the
Family." Dobson's history includes serving on the Attorney General's
Commission on Pornography, aka the Meese Commission. Bauer also embraced
Marty Rimm's cyberporn study as gospel, calling the ACLU and EFF "porn
industry apologists" who are "taking cheap shots at this comprehensive
study.")

I'm passing this along as an FYI.

-Declan

My Rimm web site:
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~declan/rimm/
The attached article and followup:
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~declan/rimm/asst/anti_porn_group_11_22_94.letter
Cleaver's op-ed on CDA: "Kids Need Protection in Cyberspace, Too"
  http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/dl?num=1153

            Note for Donna Rice-Hughes