Golden Key Campaign

Steve Reid steve at edmweb.com
Wed Apr 24 05:40:13 PDT 1996

> No, the thing that worries me most is patent infringement.  And the main
> company I worry about is RSA, one of the sponsors of this golden key
> effort.  Note that RSA's logo is a key, and we see the RSA key at the
> bottom of our Netscape screens all the time.  I don't remember if it's
> golden.

The logo they have at www.rsa.com is two modern-style keys (like we all
have on our keychains) fit together at the teeth. The key on the
"Golden Key Campaign" and on Netscape looks more like an old-style
thing, a circle on the end of a long bar with two teeth at the end.

I'd say the RSA logo (the one at their web site) looks nothing like the
one on the envelope.

> They fought against PGP for years until Phil trumped them by going
> over their heads to MIT.

Yes, but from the previous post, it sounds like PRZ supports this.

> I hate to see that company rewarded when it is acting counter to the
> interests of people who need access to privacy tools.

Financially, RSA *does* have a hell of a lot to gain from relaxed
export controls. OTOH, I would think that other companies would be able
to sell RSA-patented encryption, just not to inside the USA (IANAL). Of
course, that inside-the-USA factor is a very big one.

IMNSHO, relaxed export controls would be much better than the status
quo, even if R$A does have exclusive milking rights to that global cow.
One company selling crypto, even with a monopoly, is better than no
companies selling crypto. Besides, the patent on public-key crypto won't
last forever.

I think I'll put the golden key on my web pages, right alongside the
blue ribbon.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve at edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP Fingerprint: 11 C8 9D 1C D6 72 87 E6  8C 09 EC 52 44 3F 88 30 |
|              -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, IANAL. --                 |