"You have been deleted"

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Wed Apr 24 01:54:34 PDT 1996

Moroni worried:
>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 15:24:36 -0400
>From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at locrian.scranton.com>
>To: moroni at locrian.scranton.com
>Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
>   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
>tcmay at got.net  (transient failure)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>tcmay at got.net... Deferred: Connection refused by mail.got.net.
>Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours

Theory 1:

While working through the examples for Day Eight of "Teach Yourself Java
for Macintosh in 21 Days," I accidentally created a rogue applet which
enabled a virus developed in Bulgaria to enter my system. From there, it
infected several other computer systems, including a Sony PlayStation, a
Foonley, and several Exidy Sorcerers. Service to Northern California is
only now being restored.

Theory 2:

The Men in Black finally had enough, especially of my theft of their domain
name (Blacknet). At 9:09 a.m., PDT, Clinton's black helicopter detoured on
its route and landed on my hill, abducting me for medical experiments I am
too embarrassed to describe (except that Chelsea was also involved). I am
back now, albeit subtly changed (for the better).

Theory 3:

My ISP, got.net, had a router failure on its "ZNEt" link to the outside world.

Take your pick. Or maybe we should vote? The social construction of
reality, and all.

Alas, sometimes the truth is too banal.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!