"Separate but equal" as a racist doctrine

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Wed Apr 24 09:11:37 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"tallpaul at pipeline.com" 24-APR-1996 03:36:53.30

>For some considerable period of time the doctrine of "separate but equal"
>was one of the major racist theories in the U.S.

      I am quite aware of this; I grew up in the South. In practice, it
wasn't seperate but equal; it was separate but unequal. This was the intent of
the persons pushing it, which made them racist. (They are also justifiably
classified as racist on many other grounds).

>People who wish to organize for racist ideology behind this doctrine while
>proclaiming they are not racists merely place themselves in the old racist
>camp. Their organizing for (and their denials of) racist ideology does not
>make them less racist, just less honest.

      Persons who wish to organize for _racist_ ideology, yes. But assuming
that every separatist is actually a racist is about like assuming that everyone
on this list is an anarcho-capitalist; while correct in the majority of cases,
it isn't correct in all. (You and I are both exceptions, for instance.)
      -Allen