DES as a stream cipher

Eric Young eay at mincom.oz.au
Mon Apr 22 21:49:48 PDT 1996

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Karl A. Siil wrote:
> As this sounds like a previously solved problem, I wanted to find out about
> using DES (or any block cipher) as a stream cipher, i.e., in a manner that
> keeps input and output data length equal. I don't want to use a true stream
> cipher, as I want to use the same key for multiple messages and stream
> ciphers tend to place the bulk of their overhead in the re-key. Since stream
> ciphers have "memory," I would have to "re-key" to the same key for each of
> my messages. I would rather key something like DES once and run it in CBC
> mode or use some other form of IV.

Have a look at cipher feed back mode.  I have functions I call cfb64 in
my DES library that give a 'single' character interface to cfb mode DES
using 64bit feedback.

This should be what you want.  I also have a triple DES version of cfb64.
In my SSL library also has cfb64 mode for IDEA.

eric

ftp://ftp/pub/Crypto/DES
ftp://ftp/pub/Crypto/SSL
http://www.psy.uq.oz.au/~ftp/Crypto
--
Eric Young                  | Signature removed since it was generating
AARNet: eay at mincom.oz.au    | more followups than the message contents :-)