Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

Mark Aldrich maldrich at grctechs.va.grci.com
Mon Apr 22 17:16:23 PDT 1996

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:50:21 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Bruce Marshall <brucem at wichita.fn.net>
> Subject: Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law
>
> On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Steve Reid wrote:
>
> > In Canada, there is a law that makes "unauthorized use of computing
> > resources" illegal. That makes both hacking and malicious virus spreading
> > illegal with one law, without making it illegal to share virus information
> > and source code.
>
>      Several other countries have very similiar laws.  However, I had
> heard a somewhat unproven rumor that a U.S. state had actually made the
> writing of programs with malicious purposes illegal.  Basically meaning
> that if you write a virus you have committed a crime.  Like I said
> though, this was just a statement in a message so I can't vouch for the
> accuracy.

But, define "malicious purpose."  One man's low-level format is another
man's desired application of the moment.  I hate to paraphrase a tired
line, but "self-replicating programs don't hurt computers - mean people
do."  The term "virus" connotes a pathogenic quality in the mind of
many.  Unfortunately, this tendency continues in the use of the word
'virus' within our community.

While I understand that "intent" is something with which lawyers have to
contend when they defend or prosecute a case, I don't think that the
notion of intent to commit harm extrapolates correctly into the field of
virus writing.

|      Liberty is truly dead              |Mark Aldrich                 |
|    when the slaves are willing          |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|     to forge their own chains.          |maldrich at grci.com            |
|        STOP THE CDA NOW!                |MAldrich at dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich at grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |