java security

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 22 05:12:46 PDT 1996

At 10:24 PM 4/21/96 -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
>>A couple of glitches I've gotten from Javascripts are poorly
>>(purposely?) written applets that crash. One kept printing a modal
>>dialog box continuously, the result being a need to reboot the
>>computer because there was no way to exit Netscape or Windows.
>
>I can confirm this. Under Win95, I have seen applets that keep running
>after the browswer instance that loaded has been closed. Even run over
>other applications windows, leaving aninmated artifacts on the screen.
>Sometimes only the power switch will do. I thought that the applets weren't
>supposed to be able to wander out of their memory space...

Were they Java, or JavaScript?  Much different.  Among other things,
JavaScript runs on Win3.1, and Netscape doesn't let you turn it off.
I've had at least one event of JavaScript crashing Netscape; the part
of the script I noticed was scrolling lots of stuff along the bottom
(Hail Eris!  All Hail Discordia!  Etc. Etc.) but maybe there was more.
#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215