Smartcards are coming to the US

Brad Dolan bdolan at use.usit.net
Sun Apr 21 16:33:59 PDT 1996

Saw a CNN story Friday about an interesting special debit card
application in Mexico.  They're being issued to poor Mexicans, who can
use them to buy tortillas and a few other foodstuffs.  The cards are tied to
a behavior-control database and failure to send kids to school, get
mandatory medical exams/treatments/vaccinations, etc. results in card
deactivation.

bd