5th protect password?

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Sun Apr 21 14:11:44 PDT 1996

At 10:03 PM 4/20/96 -0700, Steve Reid wrote:
>> >   A defendant can be compelled to produce material evidence that
>> >   is incriminating.  Fingerprints, blood samples, voice
>> >   exemplars, handwriting specimens, or other items of physical
>> >   evidence may be extracted from a defendant against his will.
>
>> As you might expect, I see a problem (and a pattern!) with even these
>> examples.  Notice that with the possible exception of "handwriting
>> specimens", the examples above all represent pieces of evidence whose
>> utility was only made technologically possible by developments done more
>> than a century after the writing of the Constitution.  Fingerprints have
>
>I think you missed the main pattern... When a suspect is required to
>provide fingerprints, voice, blood and/or handwriting samples, those
>things are used exclusively for _identification_.

Is this "a distinction without a difference"???

>The only exceptions I can think of are when blood, breath and urine
>samples are taken from a suspect to detect certain chemicials in the body.
>But, AFAIK, those exceptions are entirely the product of the recent war on
>drugs.

This is odd.  By mentioning those exceptions you just destroyed your
argument.  If you were trying to claim that "identification"-intended
evidence was not protected by the 5th amendment, mentioning samples taken to
detect drugs are obviously not of this type.  The implication is that they
represent an entirely different class of "non-violations" of the 5th
amendment.  How many other non-violations are you going to be able to pull
out of that hat, along with that rabbit?

This, as you might expect, is getting hilarious.  Somehow, I think
everything that might be construed as a violation of the 5th is going to be
called "a special case" or "an exception" by those who see no problem, or at
least those who
are not willing to admit to a problem.

What's so hard about admitting that the powers-that-be in this country today
chafe at the protections guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, and try to do
everything in their power to minimize or eliminate them?  It's certainly not
an unexpected possibility, and in fact most people probably recognize that
it is unavoidable.  Once you are dragged, kicking and screaming, to an
admission that this kind of thing actually happens, your next task is to
identify current policy practices which are the product of this kind of
misinterpretation.

See, my argument is that there is a pattern of violation of the 5th
amendment, and glory be, you provide yet more ammunition for my claims.  I
think you need to go back, try to figure out the originally intended meaning
of the 5th, and differentiate it from the subsequent 210+ years of wishful
thinking on the part of the government.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com