Add-in encryption module to Netscape

Phil Karlton karlton at netscape.com
Sat Apr 20 18:15:53 PDT 1996

runner at asiapac.net wrote:

> I'm not in the US of A and the Netscape commerce server that my employer
> recently purchased has only 48bit key (as told by the salesman).

For exportable clients and servers, the symmectric keys for doing bulk
encryption are 40 bits.

> My question is
> whether it is possible to add-in my own security module (RSA)

The symmetric (RSA) keys are at least 512 bits.

> and secondly, how
> difficult is it? The salesman cannot answer me.

Netscape cannot get permission to distribute software with "pluggable"
crypto. This and the above restrictions are the result of U.S.
regulations.

PK
Philip L. Karlton		karlton at netscape.com
Principal Curmudgeon		http://home.netscape.com/people/karlton
Netscape Communications

     They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
     temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
		- Benjamin Franklin