plaugue of unsubscribes

David Loysen dwl at hnc.com
Fri Apr 19 13:56:19 PDT 1996

At 12:01 PM 4/18/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Alex Strasheim wrote:
>
>> I've started sending mail to postmasters when I get one of those "take me
>> off your list!" messages.
>[snip]
>
>See John's message about the forged subscribes.  It sounds like these
>folks may have never used a mailing list and didn't want to.  Can't really
>blame them for being upset at receiving hundreds of pieces of email that
>they didn't ask for.
>
>What still confuses me is the number of people who asked to be
>"unsubscrived."  Seems like an odd coincidence that all those folks would
>miss the B key.  Some had done it severeal times in the same message.  I
>wonder if they were totally set up -- if they got mail telling them to
>"unsubscrive."  Some people's idea of fun boggles me...
>
>Rich

The firewalls list got a bunch of "signoff" requests over the last few days.
Same gag I'd wager. The Firewalls list owner said he unsubscribed over 200
people who appeared to have been falsely subscribed.

dwl at hnc.com

Zippity do da, zippity ah, my oh my what a wonderful day.
Ya right, and here I am without time to finish a cup of coffee.