CDA Court Challenge: Update #8 (Last Day of Testimony)

Declan B. McCullagh declan+ at CMU.EDU
Thu Apr 18 17:42:08 PDT 1996

                        The CDA Challenge, Update #8
         By Declan McCullagh / declan at well.com / Redistribute freely

In this update: BYU/CMU's Olsen testifies that "-L18" won't harm the Net
                Judges realize Olsen is a weasel
                Chief Judge Sloviter's incisive questions
                Who is Donna Rice? A DoJ attorney can't stop laughing...
                Closing arguments now set for May 10

April 18, 1996

PHILADELPHIA -- The U.S. Department of Justice doesn't like the way
the Communications Decency Act is written.

During the the testimony that ended April 15 in Philadelphia's Federal
court, we've started to see the DoJ's legal strategy emerge -- and it
includes attempts to redefine the CDA.

The DoJ's star witness was the amazingly prudish Dan "I'm offended by
four-letter words" Olsen, who said that his plan to have service
providers card users and tag 'em as adults or minors is a fabulous way
to go. But this shifts the burden of protecting kids from smut onto
ISPs, a proposal that Congress rejected when they included "good
faith" defenses in the law.

Olsen, who will fit in just fine when he takes a job this summer as an
administrator at censorhappy Carnegie Mellon University, also kept
pushing the other half of his plan that would require all "patently
offensive" online content be tagged "-L18."

On Monday, the DoJ's very own attack-ferret Jason Baron asked Olsen:
"Your proposal would not have an adverse effect on the Net as a whole?

Olsen deadpanned: "Absolutely not!"

This isn't surprising. To Olsen, the Internet is just a bunch of geeks
who want to keep everyone else out of their own little world.

When U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals Chief Judge Dolores Sloviter
asked him if his "-L18" system would develop side-by-side with PICS,
Olsen replied: "If technical people were left to themselves, it would
be likely to happen. I don't think this is true here. Internet people
don't like other people telling them what to do. They're afraid of the
FCC. They don't want anyone else messing in their pond."

+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+
                      JUDGES REALIZE OLSEN IS A WEASEL
+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+

Even the judges could tell that Olsen is a weasel.

The three judges hearing our challenge to the CDA were unsympathetic
to the Brigham Young University computer scientist and pinned him down
for almost an hour as he tried to slime away from direct questions.

Judge Stewart Dalzell is the most net-savvy judge on the panel and the
only one with young kids, so I'm guessing they're helping him to grok
the Net. He asked Olsen what would happen if U.S. citizens
automatically cache overseas material, including "indecent" files.

Again Olsen tried to weasel away from the hypothetical, but Dalzell
would have none of it: "You assumed away my question."

The DoJ witness grumpily admitted: "I'd turn the cache off."

Some of Dalzell's questions were stellar: "Assume a chat group is
talking about the CDA -- students from 13 to 18. In the course of the
chat, an 18-year-old is exasperated and types in 'Fuck the CDA.' Is it
your proposal that he should tag that '-L18?'"

Not hesitating, Olsen said: "Yes."

On the fight-censorship mailing list I maintain, Mark Stein writes:

  Judge Dalzell was paraphrasing closely from Cohen v. California, a
  seminal case in which the Supreme Court overturned the conviction of
  a man who was arrested for wearing a jacket with "Fuck The Draft"
  painted on the back. This Olsen fellow's a government witness, you
  say? Sounds like he's working for us.

Some of Dalzell's other questions were equally fab: "If in one issue
of the Economist the word 'fuck' appears, the library [putting it
online] would have to go through the entire text of the issue?"

Olsen replied: "Somebody would have to make this screening. Somebody
would have to make this judgement." (Later he invented the idea of
libraries banding together to pool resources to make these decisions.
I could feel the hackles of the American Library Association folks
rising. I swear, Olsen makes up these mind-fucks on the fly.)

Remember Judge Buckwalter? I wrote about him in my first CDA Update,
saying that he was the least comfortable with our cybersuit:

  In an incomprehensible decision last month, Judge Ronald Buckwalter
  granted us only a _partial_ restraining order preventing the Feds
  from enforcing the CDA. Now he's justifying his original mistake by
  taking a critical stance during this hearing...

Buckwalter has come around. Last Friday his comments indicated he was
starting to understand the issue. His questions to Olsen on Monday
showed that he finally "gets it":

  Q: If the creator of the material doesn't buy into your system, it
     creates a big problem... Does this mean plaintiff's proposal makes
     more sense?